Lemon Bar Flags
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: About 40 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup light brown sugar
1 ½ cups flour
1tsp grated lemon rind
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup water
2tbsp corn flour
2tsp grated lemon zest
1/3 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
Green and orange food colouring
½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F).
Grease 9-inch square baking tin
2. Prepare short bread crust: In large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in flour and lemon rind until well combined .Pat mixture evenly into prepared tin.
3. Bake crust 15 minutes, or until golden .Cool in pan, on wire rack.
4. Meanwhile, prepare lemon topping: In 2-litre saucepan, mix 1 cup granulated sugar, lemon juice, water and corn flour until well mixed. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook 1-2 minutes or longer, until well mixed. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook 1-2 minutes or longer, until thickened.
5. In medium-sized bowl, beat re-maining ½ cup sugar, eggs and lemon rind until thick and pale (lemon) mixture into egg mixture until well combined.
6. Pour filling into prepared crust. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until filling is firm. Cool on wire rack.
.Meanwhile, prepare glaze: heat butter until melted. stir in powdered sugar. Stir in water, 1tablespoon at a time, until smooth and of desired consistency. Divide into 2 batches. Colour one green and the other orange.
8. Cut’cookie’ into 6 rectangular bars and remove from tin carefully. Spread coloured glaze in green and orange over cookies to resemble national flag. If cookie is not pale enough in colour for middle white band, simply sprinkle sugar to cover