Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: About 1 hour
Make: 6 servings
6 egg whites at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
1/8 tsp cream of tartar (or 3 times the lemon juice)
1 ½ cup heavy cream, whipped
¼ cup icing sugar
About 2 cups green grapes and orange-fleshed melon chunks (use any two seasonal fruits you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 65°C (150 °F)
- Mix together cornflour and one pinch cream of tartar; set aside
- Layer two sheets of wax paper and wet under tap, crinkling slightly. Smooth moistened wax paper onto baking tin. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites, gradually adding in sugar, vinegar and vanilla, until very stiff. Fold in cornflour mixture. Pile meringue onto baking baking tin in small scoops.
- use rubber spatula or back of large spoon smooth piles into rough cir-cles,then hollow out centre slightly meringue in oven about 1-1 1/2hours.Let cool in oven and then remove in flat tray.
- Carefully peel off wax paper.
- Whip cream and icing sugar together; chill. Before serving, fill meringues with cream and sliced fruit of your choice in green and orange and white.